Memorial Park, Pennant Hills Road, Carlingford, NSW, 1961
Snelling was commissioned by the local council to design a public memorial for thirty-two victims of the 1917 sinking of the submarine K13. His site was a park near the top of Mobb’s Hill near the Carlingford Rail Station, which offered distant views back to the city of Sydney. The memorial was funded by Mary Freestone, the widow of Charles Freestone, a telegraphist who was one of forty-eight crew who survived the sinking. His estate gifted the land to the Parramatta Council.
Snelling’s junior associate at the time, Rein Jaaniste, said Snelling spent a long time pondering the design of this memorial before his landscape consultant took him to see a block of sandstone he had discovered in the Blue Mountains. After that stone was accepted as the main vertical element of the memorial’s composition, Snelling set it to one side of a large, shallow, circular reflection pond. Hovering just above the waterline, were large white letters spelling K13. Brass plaques were screwed to the sandstone boulder, including the inscription:
This memorial has been created in memory of those officers and men of the Commonwealth who gave their lives in submarines while serving the cause of freedom. It is called the ‘K13’ memorial in particular memory of those lost in HM Submarine K13.
—Jaaniste, Rein. Personal communications, 23, 24 April 2003.
—Pemberton, Gary J. 1984. Douglas B. Snelling: A Monograph of His Works (B. Arch dissertation). Sydney: New South Wales Institute of Technology.