Pangas House, 15–17 Hunter Street, Sydney, 1958–63
On the ground floor of a four-storey, six-bay, Victorian Italianate building on Hunter Street, Snelling installed ‘a fine 1950s cafe and food bar known as the Stardust Café’. Although proposed for heritage classification with the National Trust of New South Wales in 1981, the interior was demolished by 1985.
From indistinct copies of four photographs supplied with the classification proposal, the long narrow interior was entered through pivoting glass doors from an alcove off the footpath. The right side of the cafeteria was furnished with a series of two- and three-person banquettes facing cantilevered tables beneath a long mirror. On the left side, the long servery area was illuminated by a fluorescent tube fixed into a pelmet suspended above.
Ornamenting a narrow wall at the back of the room was a vertical wall plaque of irregularly arranged ceramic tiles; perhaps this was created by Gerard Havekes, a ceramic artist and sculptor who was a friend of Snelling’s during the 1960s.
—Sheedy, David. 1981. Heritage listing notes and interior photos, Sydney: National Trust of New South Wales.