8 Killeaton Street, St Ives, NSW, 1954
Built on weekends by Snelling’s Functional Products business partner, Terry Palmerston and wife Daphne, this house at St Ives was influenced by the Hay House, which was built in the same street. Like all early Snelling designs, the Palmerston floor plan incorporated stone-paved outdoor terraces; to the north and east of the north-facing living and dining areas and central kitchen.
To emphasize the indoor-outdoor flow, indoor circulation zones were paved with the same flagstones used for external terraces. Roughly square in layout, the house included three bedrooms and two bathrooms on the south side, with entry from a carport adjacent to the northwest corner of the building. These facilities were installed under a roof that was flat across the front half of the building, then fell toward the north terrace as a sun-screen.
The open-plan living-dining area was divided by a double-sided fireplace of rough-hewn sandstone, tapered on one side. The kitchen was cork-floored, with stainless steel benchtops including the sink. Cabinetry, including yellow doors with green handles, was not built to Snelling’s usual standard or style, and the white, freestanding appliances were inferior to Snelling’s usual imported Thermador stainless steel ‘integrated’ models. Furniture included Snelling line chairs and a red sofa.
—Collins, Sue. Personal communications, ca. February 2004.
—Dayman, Patricia. 1956. ‘They built the outside … in!’, Australian House & Garden, May, pp. 16–17.
—Palmerston, Vicky. Personal communications, 1 October 2002.
—Sydney: SLNSW, PICMAN Archive, PXD 874, architectural drawings by Peter MacCallum.
—Woman. 1956. ‘Backed by tall timbers’, 1 October, pp. 40–41.