Crescent Road, Newport, 1950
A billards room and two-room housekeeper's flat were excavated and extended from a basement under a first floor balcony at a Pittwater-facing Newport house owned by Mr and Mrs A. R. (Barney) Allen.
The new renovations required significant demolition and underpinning of the existing house, but substantially expanded the original sundeck (over the roof of the new downstairs structure). A new staircase connected the two levels.
The games room was lined with vertical boards of Queensland maple, with a fireplace of local stone and a cocktail bar faced with quilted vinyl.
—Australian Home Beautiful. 1952. 'Waste space below terrace becomes colourful games room', August, pp.16-17.
—Sydney: SLNSW, PICMAN PXD 874, architectural drawings from Peter MacCallum.